Wednesday 20 March 2013

Beautiful Britain by Lily Harlem





I just can't help but be inspired by the wonderful country I live in, but none more so than the Cotswolds. I spent last week there with Mr Harlem and we had a wonderful time. The cute, topsy-turvey villages are quintessential England. From their sandy colour brickwork to their tiled roofs and walled gardens, there is nothing remotely ordered about the mishmash of houses and shops. The roads go from wide to breathe-in narrow, hills flow right down to the entrance of the villages and gurgling streams pool into ponds full of mallard ducks.






I've been several times over the years and I always have the urge to walk for miles then settle in one of the many welcoming pubs by a fire and enjoy some good food and fine wine.





Of course I like to find time for a little shopping too, and last week in the slightly-larger-than-average village of Winchcombe I had a delightful few hours mooching around shops with names like -  Sprogs and Boogiebeat (kids stuff) The Winds of Change Gallery, Just In, Me Me Me (clothes), and enjoyed tea and scones in Food Fanatics Delicatessen - yum!  I came home mainly with tasty treats in my bag though having a particular fondness for art, had money been no issue there were several pictures in the gallery I would have treated myself to.




I always play a game with my lovely man, which house we'd have if we could have any. I'm always hard pushed to decide if I would want a small cute one, all chintzy and cosy...




Or one with an obligatory thatched roof...



Or something big and sprawling, mansion-like...




Or even something quirky - of which there are many to chose from...





Whichever one I choose, in my imagination, I'd be sure to see something else on my next visit that grabs me more, depending what mood I'm in. And I'm already looking forward to my next Cotswold trip, though between now and then I wonder if I'll set another story there? Without intentionally setting out to, I have three books all based in the Cotswolds, I guess that shows how under my skin this beautiful part of the world has got.

Thanks for reading

Lily x




PS - My books set in the Cotswolds...





3 comments:

  1. Yup, those little villages scattered in the country--be it in England, Scotland, or Wales--are idyllic in the summertime. Very pretty and serene. And inspirational. I expect many a plot bunny lives there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of bunnies for sure JoAnne :-)

    I'm a season lover, so whatever the weather I adore this part of the world. But villages in particular, like you say in whatever part of the UK, have a certain something. I often think they're like swans, they look calm but there's lots going beneath the surface with the people that live in those tight knit communities, that's where some great complex relationship stories can start - oh I just need to get my teeth into a new one!

    ReplyDelete

Unleash your inner vixen and comment today!